Anatomy of a Racist Frame-Up
The Case of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Appendix No. 10:
Declaration of Kenneth Pate
I, KENNETH PATE, declare:
1. I am related to Priscilla Durham, now known as Priscilla Ahmed,
through marriage: My father, Perry Abner, married Priscillas mother,
Dolores Durham, about 20-25 years ago.
2. Sometime around the end of 1983 or the beginning of 1984 I had
a telephone conversation with Priscilla Durham in which the subject of Mumia
Abu-Jamal came up.
3. I asked Priscilla how she was and she asked me how I was. I was
kind of teasing her about her job as a security guard at the hospital, saying
why would a woman need to carry a big old gun like that?
4. Priscilla began to complain about the way she was treated on
the job, about her back hurting, and them treating her like that
after all she did for them they laid her off.
5. Then Priscilla started talking about Mumia Abu-Jamal. She said
that when the police brought him in that night she was working at the hospital.
Mumia was all bloody and the police were interfering with his treatment, saying
let him die.
6. Priscilla said that the police told her that she was part of
the brotherhood of police since she was a security guard and that
she had to stick with them and say that she heard Mumia say that he killed the
police officer, when they brought Mumia in on a stretcher.
7. I asked Priscilla: Did you hear him say that?
Priscilla said: All I heard him say was: Get off me, get off me,
theyre trying to kill me.
8. Priscilla also said there was a lot of chaos and confusion
going on when the police brought Mumia in and when they were talking to her.
9. I am presently imprisoned at SCI Greene where I have been for
about 3 years. At the time of my telephone conversation with Priscilla Durham,
described above, I was imprisoned at SCI Graterford.
10. Back in 1982-1984 Priscilla and I had many telephone
conversations when I was at SCI Graterford. I would call her house to talk to
her or her daughter Sharon. Since then Priscilla and I have written each other
11. Sometime in 1984, after I was transferred to SCI Huntington, I
read a newspaper article about the Mumia Abu-Jamal case. It said Priscilla
Durham had testified at Mumias trial that when she was working as a
security guard at the hospital she heard Mumia say that he had killed the
police officer. When I read this I realized it was a different story from what
she had told me.
12. Mumia was also imprisoned at SCI Huntington at that time. I
wrote a note to him about Priscilla and gave it to another inmate who was a
tier worker to pass it on to him.
13. Sometime between December of last year (2002)
and February of this year (2003) I was out in the prison yard at the same time
Mumia was. I remember that the weather was still cold. We were a couple of
cages away from each other. I mentioned to him about the telephone conversation
I had with Priscilla back in 1983 or 1984 and that she said she
didnothear Mumia say anything about killing the police officer. I
told him that I thought she was still scared about telling the truth about what
happened but maybe she would.
14. My nickname or street name is Kenny Stax. That is
how I am known by Mumia and other inmates.
15. I am willing to take a lie detector test to prove I am telling
the truth about my conversation with Priscilla Durham.
This declaration is made subject to the penalties provided for in
18 Pa. Cons. Stats. Sec. 4904 for unsworn false statements to authorities.
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United
States of America that this declaration is true and correct and was signed by
me on April 18, 2003, at Waynesburg, PA.